So your business has a couple of social media accounts and you deliver your message to a handful of followers. But are you being social? Or just posting the same old ‘adverts’ to the same 200 followers?
Many business owners feel like they ‘need’ to be on every communication platform, just because they have the tools available. When really, we have to consider where our customers are ‘hanging out’ and then, zero in on the best method to engage with them.
For most of us, the answer is Instagram.
Our 4 step method to fire up your Instagram engagement
We’ve been playing with this for 4 or 5 years now and I’ll admit it; we’ve had plenty of failures and loads of trial and error.
But more recently, we’ve been helping our clients find new levels of success. And, importantly, monetisation of their IG accounts.
This is our 4 step method to “Fire up your Instagram Engagement”:
- Make a list of 10 most relevant locations to your business. These should be in your core market and places where your customers are hanging out.
- Search each location on Instagram and check both the “top” and “recent” posts to see what’s going on.
- For 2 locations, Comment and Like on 10 posts. Spend some quality time here. Really get to know the people and the other businesses in each location.
- Repeat Step 3, for 1 or 2 locations, every day. Ok, I know what you’re thinking. We said Top 4! But like every good strategy, you must fine-tune things.
- So head back to Step 1 every couple of months, and make sure these locations are truly relevant to your community.
Social Media – a definition
seeking or enjoying the companionship of others; friendly; sociable; gregarious.
mass communication (broadcasting, publishing, and the Internet) regarded collectively.
20 minutes a day of engagement is actually marketing – ninja style
When commenting on a post in your local market, add your thoughts or comments. Be funny and try to add value, without being pushy. This shouldn’t take much longer than 90 seconds a comment.
After a while, you will really get to know the people in these locations and gain a clearer picture of your community. Also, the engagement side of things will become super social and really fun. You might even become a bit of a local celebrity.
By leaving one insightful comment on 10 posts in 10 locations, you actually have 100 chances each week, for people in your area to notice your business. Think of this as simple, easy, daily marketing. Best of all, it’s effectively free!
Please shoot us an email or message if you wanna discuss your Instagram strategy or tips that you’ve found to be successful. Now get out there and be social!
There is no way that we could’ve come up with such a simple, yet powerful strategy all by ourselves. What we’ve done, is developed our own version of Gary Vee’s $1.80 strategy for local businesses on Instagram and tailored it to the smaller business market.
We’ll give you a hint – fast forward to 3:25.